H.O.W.D.Y. Music Forum Index H.O.W.D.Y. Music
Supporting Independent Artists

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Phase II project?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    H.O.W.D.Y. Music Forum Index -> Project Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjosef
Feeler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Phase II project? Reply with quote

I know Exit has been working dreadfully hard on this "Supporters' Supporters' Disc" enterprise, and I thought I'd give him the right of first perusal or refusal on an idea I had for a Phase II project, in case he's willing and able to facilitate it:

Like many EN fans, I have a pretty good collection of Neubauten live tapes, some of which I've made myself. Some years ago, I cobbled together a tape of some of the more brilliant, unique performances from these cassettes ó starting with very early recordings and continuing through '97 ó and came up with a really interesting aural tapestry of the band's onstage development.

What I'm thinking of doing is proposing the following on the Phase II message boards:

Have the supporters go through their vaults and select a REASONABLE number of performances from live recordings of all eras, that could then be collected, juried and assembled into a two-disc volume that eventually would end up as a download only available from neubauten.org.

This plan could serve to accomplish multiple objectives, both commercial and aesthetic:

1) A supporters-created album would no doubt show EN in a favorable light, but from a perspective outside the band's periphery.

2) An accompanying explanation (next to the album in the catalogue of Downloadable merchandise) of the album as a supporter-created entity would serve as an incentive to drive enthusiastic non-supporters to subscribe.

3) Minimal production and shipping costs most likely would be absorbed (happily) by supporters.

4) Naturally, all profits would go directly to Neubauten, Inc.

5) Everyone would get to hear this terrific, unusual version of "Keine Sch–nheit" that I recorded on the 10th anniversary tour.

Obviously a disclaimer pertaining to the presence of less-than-professional-sound-quality recordings would be in order. But fundamentally, people have been trading these tapes and listening to them for years. Most of those who would pay the nominal fee (and nominal it should be) for this sort of a release probably wouldn't complain.

I'm aware there are plenty of probable caveats with this plan (i.e., copyright issues; negotiation of profits with members no longer with the band but featured on the recordings; reluctance of Neubauten, Inc., to approve for sale something outside the sphere of its creative control; etc.). Still, I think it could be a worthwhile endeavour.

Your thoughts, Exit? Other folks?

(By the way, I normally would have no problem undertaking such an adventure should it come to pass. The fact that I can only access the Internet/e-mail world at work, for now, would make me a very poor administrator for this project. But as always, I'd be keen to assist in any way possible.)

Thank you for your time and consideration, everybody.
Exit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a neat idea, and I agree with doing it. I don't think that manufacturing of any kind should come in to play, but the download idea I think is more realistic.

I personally have no bootlegs, so I wouldn't be able to help with that.

Run it past Herr Bargeld, see what he thinks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kjosef
Feeler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: starting point Reply with quote

Exit:

I've posted the above proposal to the EN boards. I've volunteered to coordinate the project, but everybody would have to either e-mail me their recordings as mp3s (which would have to be through the neubauten.org account ó I'm not sure this would be cool with the webmaster) or send them on CD.

I'm not sure if you were agreeing to take on the Phase II project or not, but either way, if you have a chance to get back to me about it in the near future, that would be great. Know you're busy, though, as am I.

Thanks for your patience.
Exit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My life is extremelt busy lately, hence the lack of my visits to Neubauten.org. I'm moving my stuff in to the school I'm buying, and also trying to finish doing recording for my group. On top of that, I'm doing freelance work when I can, on top of my full time job. Not to mention all the cleaning I have to do and promotional work to do too (we have an ad coming out in IndustrialnatioN next January!!)

I have no free time as a result, and once I aquire the school, I've got lot's of building to do to get the school in shape for my occupation! I can't really do anything right now, other than finsh this project!

Ask around, there are plenty of people always interested in these types of projects, I'm sure the EN forums will garner a response, and yes, I am on them once again, but only read once in a blue moon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kjosef
Feeler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exit:

Duly noted. Certainly didn't want to burden you with more labor. Webmaster says she'll set up an FTP account so I can receive mp3s from people in larger quantities. Once this is achieved, the rest should be relatively easy.

Best of luck with lightening your schedule. Certainly have been there myself. It likely will be a while before this Phase II project sees completion (in whatever form), so whenever you have time, if you have any files you'd like to send, please do.

All the best,

K
Post new topic   Reply to topic    H.O.W.D.Y. Music Forum Index -> Project Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: