H.O.W.D.Y. Music Forum Index H.O.W.D.Y. Music
Supporting Independent Artists

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Concept of Time

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: The Concept of Time Reply with quote

I fully admit that I have a hard time grasping the concept of time, at least some of the time. Here it is, 30 years has passed since I created 99¢ Special in 1991 while attending college in a tiny town nestled deep in the Southern Tier of NY.

In October of 2004 and during the reboot of 99, we played a test show in Syracuse days before Darren and I flew to Berlin and took part in a 100-person choir for two Grundstück shows with Einstürzende Neubauten. After Berlin, I headed to Bad Pyrmont to visit my Oma, and in the guesthouse I was staying, I penned the lyrics for "Lonely Man's Dance". Upon returning to NY, I recorded a primitive jam version of the song to ADAT.

The 99 reboot came to an end when some unspecified drama on Christmas night 2004 resulted in Darren leaving NY and eventually returning to NC. While the rest of us were in NY, we did one final and troubled show in NC where Darren was.

After packing the van, the break lines went out just before the 800 mile trip. This caused Ray to refuse to go, even though I paid a mechanic to fix it urgently. Our last keyboardist Marly and I continued on, only to have the tires disintegrate at the Virginia/North Carolina border. We made it to Wilmington and finally met up with Darren. With Ray missing, I tried (poorly) to play some of the electric drum parts while singing.

I also added the then new song "Again" in to the set list. It would be the first time a One Cent Left song would be played live and it happened to be during the last 99¢ Special show.

I suppose that was the official moment when 99 ended and One Cent Left began. And in all this time, not one official album has been released.

It was only in 2020 when I finally mixed and released a single version of "Dying For". Not the full album, just one song. Yet, I have 4 unreleased albums of 99¢ Special, 4 unreleased albums of One Cent Left, and all the unreleased side projects, Ephemeral, Nature's' Descending, LMC, Disinvention, and even some songs I created before 99 which I've chosen to potentially release under the name Exit.

This isn't to say that I've not been working. Over the past 10 years, I've written dozens of new One Cent Left songs, and released a collection of demos and a couple singles. But none of them are proper releases.

At present, I'm working to hire studio musicians as needed and finish up the first One Cent Left album, "Unwritten Music", which might actually be split in to two volumes. That will then be followed by "This is Why You Don't Love Me", "3 Easy Steps to Becoming Worthless", and finally "For Everything That's Lost".

These albums span 16 years of writing, and many demos and work-in-progress releases have been made available during this period of time on the One Cent Left website.

Looking forward to a productive 2021.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    H.O.W.D.Y. Music Forum Index -> News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: